[thelist] Headers within ordered list in xhtml?

Bruce Lawson Bruce.Lawson at LawSociety.org.uk
Mon Feb 28 08:42:49 CST 2005

I'm on a quest to produce the following in valid xhtml. I've a (very)
large ordered list of rules. It's split into sections, each with a
"header"/ subtitle to allow the reader easily to scan to find the rules
that she wants to read.

This markup is perfect:
<ol>
<li>blah</li>
<li>2nd blah</li>
<h3>Rules on crocodiles in dormitories:</h3>
<li>No crocodiles allowed</li>
<li>Nor alligators</li>
<h3>Rules on cobras in dormitories:</h3>
<li> ... </li>
</ol>

The trouble is, the validator tells me that an <hx> tag is illegal
inside an <ol>.
I don't want to split the list, as the numbering will be disrupted (and
I don't want to use the deprecated <li start="34"> attribute after the
<h3>.

Any ideas, esteemed comrades?

Bruce

This email is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient then you must not copy
it, forward it, use it for any purpose, or disclose it to another person.
Instead please return it to the sender immediately and copy your communication to
Postmaster at lawsociety.org.uk.
Please then delete your copy from your system.
Please also note that the author of this email is not authorised to conclude any
contract on behalf of the Law Society by email.
Thank you.