[thelist] High-Speed ADF / Duplex Scanner

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Mon Feb 28 11:25:40 CST 2005

Jeff Wilhelm asked about hardware:

>>We need to be able to scan in two-sided product registration cards at
a high speed.
>>We are talking like 500,000+ a month.

Hi Jeff,

Sounds expensive!  ;-)

... and not just for the scanner ... you'll need people to move that
paper
around ... space for the work ... people to process these _through_ the
scanner
... manually key the failures ... space for storage or secure disposal
after
scanning ... that's a pretty fair number of documents to play with!

One alternative to owning the iron (and the process) would be to
outsource
the scanning. It might be worth at least taking a look at a few bids
from
data entry services. I'm pretty sure you could define whatever fields
you
wanted, negotiate the SLA, take some kind of daily (or x time a day) FTP

feed to load into your db for analysis, and pay for the optical storage
backup and paper disposal.

HTH,

RonL.