[thelist] Process all pages as .asp under IIS

Maximillian Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Mon Feb 28 12:03:32 CST 2005

Justin Stach wrote:
> I'm being asked if I could configure IIS to process all .html/.htm pages
> as .asp pages - mainly so that our relaunched site doesn't break a load
> of bookmarks.

Perhaps someone has a better solution, but mod_rewrite for IIS could
work for you.  Google turns up a number of suggestions[0].  No
experience with it myself, but ISAPI Rewrite seems to be the most
commonly-recommended solution.[1]

Alternatively, you can use a "404 rewrite" solution.  You set an asp
page as the custom 404 handler for your site(s); that script evaluates
the requested URI, and sends a 301 redirect with the correct URI (or a
genuine 404 as the case may be).  This is rather messy and I do not
recommend it, but if IIS Rewrite is not available, it can work.  Again,
Google has suggestions[2] as usual.

[0] http://www.google.com/search?q=mod_rewrite+iis
[1] http://www.isapirewrite.com/
[2] http://www.google.com/search?q=404+rewrite+iis