[thelist] Dreamweaver and hand-coding

John Williams thudfactor at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 09:08:40 CST 2005

I've been hand-coding sites in Dreamweaver for almost four years now.

Dreamweaver has a very full-featured text editor that even does regex
searches. It is by no means an IDE, but they have put a lot of work
into supporting those of us who like to work with the code rather than
with widgets. Besides using it to create HTML/CSS documents, I also
use it to make PHP applications. We also use it's file-locking ability
in a multi-user production environment to keep from stomping each
other's changes, but I don't think this feature is as solid as it
could be.

The syntax coloring is some of the best I've seen, and I've looked at
a lot of competing products.

 I'd also like to second what Rick has said -- I love the site
management view and use the "coder" view exclusively.

--
All original movie reviews! Read the Anvil & Sprocket
http://www.anvilandsprocket.com