[thelist] You can play a song but you can't download it

Bernardo Escalona escalonab at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 10:38:08 CST 2005

> However there is nothing to stop analogue attacks - you can always copy =
> document down by hand, or snap a picture using a camera. Likewise you =
> can
> hold a tape recorder up to the computer speakers and make a copy that =
> way.

Actually you can use any software that can record sound (like
soundforge), select the proper input device and record the stream
without losing any quality whatsoever. then you edit it, split them
into tracks if you want, and save them as wavs or mp3. I mean... i've
heard thats how they do it..... ;)

Any site that streams audio (radio stations and bands pages) is
vulnerable to this. Still, streaming the audio is the best protection
you are going to find. It will prevent probably more than 90% of your
visitors from "stealing" the tunes.

You could also make "demo" mp3s available for download, which show
maybe only half of the song or whatever... get the people hooked and
they'll buy the cd.

By far the best option though (IMHO) would be to just make a few songs
downloadable (complete songs), and say that the rest of the songs in
the album are just as good, and there you have it.

Berns