[thelist] [the list] Mysql/Xml schema for storing words

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Fri Mar 4 10:43:23 CST 2005

Dan CRACIUN wrote:

> I figured I can use Mysql to store the data, allthough it will have
> close to 2 million records, so the performance will be an issue. And to
> populate the Mysql tables I'll need to first convert the excel files to
> xml

?! "xml"? whatever for? Export your spreadsheet's data as CSV,
and use LOAD DATA INFILE to get it into MySQL.

> And now the first few from a (probably) long list of questions:
> How good is the Mysql support for Unicode chars?

Storing? fine. Sorting/collating -- depends on what version you're
running. For something like this, you probably want to be running
the current/latest stable 4.1.10.

Recommendation: join the MySQL "general discussion" mailing list
<http://lists.mysql.com/>; if nothing else, you'll learn more about
character sets than you ever thought you'd need to know. :-)

FWIW!
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.