[thelist] Interesting Safari javascript "feature"

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Fri Mar 4 12:26:35 CST 2005

This is not a question for y'all, but might be useful information for
you.  :)

In the page I've been trying to fix, clicking a link resizes an image
and the window.

<http://www.realtymort.com/neighborhoods/lincolnpark/fp-530warlington/
studio1/popuptest.htm>

I finally got it working fine in Firefox and IE, but in Safari, it had
a frustrating tendency to not resize the window all the time.
Sometimes it would, and sometimes it just wouldn't.  I finally figured
it out:

Apparently, if a Javascript window resize is going to make the window
too big for the screen, then Safari ignores the command.  If I had the
window all the way in the top left corner of the screen, the script
works great.  If I move the window down just a bit (so the large size
will have its bottom off the screen) the image resizes, but the window
doesn't budge.

As an added bonus, if the bottom is on screen, but below the top of the
Dock, the window is cropped so that the bottom is exactly at the top of
the Dock.

Has anyone else ever noticed this one before?

Steve