[thelist] CSS Two Column Layout with Content above the header

Ron Dorman rwd at simplydigtech.com
Fri Mar 4 11:00:19 CST 2005

Dan Eastwell wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I don't know whether I'm asking the impossible, but is there an
> elegant solution for making a two column layout with a header, but
> having the main content (right hand column) above the header content
> in the XHTML?
>
> Is it a case of having to use absolute positioning?

It can be done with fixed positioning, and then additional CSS for IE
being absolute positioning. See thelodgetx.com <http://thelodgetx.com>
for example. This site also provides the appearance of frames (fixed
header, footer and left nav) without using frames or framesets. It's
currently HTML 4.0 Trans so I'm not sure if the technique will function
in XHTML, which is a not too distant project for me.

HTH,
Ron D.