[thelist] what kind of fraud is this?

Erik Heerlein erik at erikheerlein.com
Tue Mar 8 20:12:16 CST 2005

Over the past couple of days, someone has been trying make purchases
from my SSL e-commerce site. Each time that they do, their card is
declined.

They use the same US billing address, which is the same as the shipping
address. They only put one item in the cart and the item is different
almost every time. The names used are either repeated or slight
variations on each other, i.e. "Tom Smiths", Tommy Smiths", "Tom
Smith". The IP address is always the same (belongs to a UK ISP) and
they use a different card every time.

After I spotted the pattern I started recording the whole credit card
number that they were using (banks wouldn't do anything without the
whole card number) and reported it as fraud, which the banks confirmed.
I also emailed the ISP about what was going on but haven't heard
anything.

My question is, what is this person trying to achieve? At this point,
it's pretty obvious that he's not out to try and get some free
merchandise because it's obvious ahead of time that the card will be
declined and they keep coming back. So my only other idea is that he's
trying to eavesdrop on the transactions to glean some potentially
fruitful information. So am I vulnerable here in some way? Is he trying
to hack into authorize.net or the banks?

Also, is there anybody else I should report this to?

- Erik H