[thelist] Re: Multiple column text?

Brooking, John John.Brooking at sappi.com
Thu Mar 10 15:02:26 CST 2005

Thank you to everyone who participated in this interesting discussion. I
can somewhat understand the designer's intent, because underneath the
section where this text is, there are two more traditional side-by-side
columns which these newspaper-style columns line up with. I'm still not
sure I agree, but they're the designers, and the business owners have
not questioned it, so I'm not sure if it's my role to, without having
the graphic design cred to back it up.

What I *will* tell them is that they have three choices. One is bag the
multiple columns. Two is keep the multiple columns and use two
side-by-side text elements (in the CMS) for it, making the user split it
up when they enter it. Three is that I could define a "custom render
handler", by which means I could probably implement the kind of client-
or server-side code (the CMS is written in Cold Fusion) that has been
suggested to split the single text element into two columns. (And yes, I
like the IHT implementation, too.) But I have a feeling that my manager
will put the kibosh in option 3, since I'm plenty busy enough already,
and don't have much experience with writing custom render handlers.

Anyway, thanks again!

- John
--

This message may contain information which is private, privileged or confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in the message. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender thereof and destroy / delete the message. Neither the sender nor Sappi Limited (including its subsidiaries and associated companies) shall incur any liability resulting directly or indirectly from accessing any of the attached files which may contain a virus or the like.