[thelist] Can current macs have multiple browser versions installed?

liorean liorean at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 09:47:41 CST 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:59:47 +0000, mac jordan <mac.jordan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:39:11 -0500, Dave Merrill <dmerrill at usa.net> wrote:
> > Is it possible to have multiple versions of common browsers installed at the
> > same time on a current mac? I probably mean IE, Mozilla/Firefox, Opera, and
> > Safari. If so, does it require hacks like on windows, or is it just a
> > normal, officially supported possibility?

You can have multiple different browsers without any problems at all.
Multiple versions of the same browser is trickier. Safari IIRC doesn't
allow this (the rendering engine is built into the OS and updated with
it), though it might be possible to have the 1.0 version beside 1.2.
Opera can have problems between different versions because of shared
preferences. 6 and 7.5 can reside beside eachother in peace, but the
testing builds often have problems with "dirty" installs and sometime
a new version breaks former versions. Mozilla/Gecko browsers shouldn't
be a problem to have side by side, as long as they don't share a
common profile. MSN/OSX is just a single browser as far as I know, so
that shouldn't be a problem. Shiira uses WebKit just like Safari and
should have the same limitations. I have no idea if it's possible to
have multiple ie versions, I've never tried that. Likewise for
OmniWeb.
--
David "liorean" Andersson
<uri:http://liorean.web-graphics.com/>