[thelist] Percentage of users still on Dialup? (offlist)

Bruce McIntyre bmcintyre at issgroup.net
Fri Mar 11 10:10:24 CST 2005

I would tend to agree with you up to a point.  However, users of
broad-band must be first willing to go beyond basic requirements.

1. Must have either Cable to add cable-modem, or must add significant
cost to the phone line.  (adding voice-mail was cheap by comparison)
2. Must have a computer (many lower-end communities only use shared
resources at school, work, or library)
3. Must be interested in the Internet beyond email and AIM.

All of this says that there is a high correlation between socio-economic
strata and Internet use.  There is also still significant differencial
between gender penetration.

But in the end, none of that is important to the primary point... Simple
is better than Complex.  Clean, fast loading, targeted content will win
out over complex, slow, generic content.... While both Microsoft and
Yahoo offer substantial search capabilities, I almost always go to
Google first, or other specialized search tools second.

12 Year old kids will log on to use AOL, but will focus on AIM and music
videos.  This is true whether or not they have dial-up or broad-band
access.
In the same way, I'll use fast over slow anytime.  And no matter how
fast my access is, I never want it slower.  And once you 'trade-up' it
is still never fast enough.

--
Bruce A. McIntyre
ISS Group (http://www.issgroup.net)