[thelist] Are you designing with CSS and web standards?

raskenbo raskenbo at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 21:01:36 CST 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:38:31 -0600, Robert Hanson <rhanson at mva.com> wrote:

> The entire discussion about web standards I think is overblown.  The goal
> is to get some information you have, onto the browser window of your
> visitor.  Whether you use straight HTML or XHTML or XML or HTML with CSS is
> not so important as the final result.   It's what we've all been doing for
> years.
>
> Consider a room full of novelists, caught up in a debate about which tool -
> Word or Wordperfect or a typewriter or paper and pencil - produce the best
> novel.   (hint - it's the author)  Same with the agument for/against CSS.
> It is a tool to help you create your presentation, and nothing more than
> than.

<snip>

Your point is well taken but it over simplifies reality. Web sites
(and novels) require maintenance. I could produce a web site using m$
word and it would "work" in m$ agents (and possibly others).

This would be fine in a controlled environment. Then reality kicks in...

Now the site is sucking up bandwidth, a pain to maintain (possibly),
isn't accessible using many user agents....

The only "truth" with regards to this discussion is that standards
should be used when they are a viable option.

Some movies merit theatrical release, others go straight to DVD. Which
is the better of the two?

I love this field of work :-)

Ken Chase
Freelance Web Design