[thelist] Colourizing B&W Line Art

Andy Warwick mailing.lists at creed.co.uk
Sat Mar 12 13:44:40 CST 2005

On 12 Mar 2005, at 17:33, Alliax wrote:

> - open your B&W line art with photoshop :
> - menu SELECT -> Color Range
> - then select the black colour
> - click OK (you should see the black outline selected)
> - in the tool palette click on the foreground colour and enter your
> chosen colour
> - then menu EDIT -> FILL

Both those methods will work, but won't give the best result if you
have soft edges in the image; you'll get all sort of haloes where the
black isn't selected correctly.

The best way is as follows (Photoshop 6)

1. With the original image on your background layer, Select All and
copy the black and white image to the clipboard.
2. Create a new layer and fill it with your light green.
3. Go to the Layer menu and Add Layer Mask, Reveal All.
4. Select this new layer in your Channels palette by turning it's 'eye'
icon on, and turning all the others off.
5. Paste the black and white image into the Layer Mask.
6. Invert All, so it's now a white image on black.
7. In the Channels palette re-select the RGB channels (turn their
'eyes' on, and the Layer Mask's 'eye' off).
fill with your chosen background colour.

This way all the soft edges will be retained, and you can put the image
onto any colour background (or even use it with a transparent
background).

In effect, you use an inverted version of the image to 'knock-out' a
solid layer of the chosen green colour, complete with fuzzy edges and
semi-transparent areas.

Hope that helps.

--
Andy Warwick