[thelist] [Marketing] AdWords, AdSense, Overture, etc

Ian Anderson ian at zstudio.co.uk
Tue Mar 15 07:51:18 CST 2005

Joshua Olson wrote:

>I've been researching online advertising and it looks like the two biggest
>players in the market are Google and Overture.
>Any thoughts on this?  Experiences?

Hi Joshua,

I tried Adwords for a while; I believe in it quite strongly as a useful
method of promoting a business. The main cost is time in the first
instance, not the per click cost. Busy categories may be quite hard to
get visibility in, I think.

1. My own experience; didn't do so well in the end. I was promoting my
own services, and the web design category is so busy that you have to be
quite lucky to stay in it. It needs a good deal of effort especially at
first. This is because you have to be clicked on a certain number of
times, or Google drop you. They make your ad inactive while you tweak
it. For example, if your ad is shown ten times (or however many) and
no-one clicks it, you are suspended. You need to worry about the
proposition and the marketing message you are promoting. I didn't have
enough time to spend on it for that first couple of weeks, and I think
my proposition was wrong for the search terms I was targeting.

Under "web design", my ad was coming up about every third time I
reloaded the page.

2. Marketing consultant I work with - gets half his business through
adwords. Swears by them. He's in a less competitive market and
geographically localised. He is a sales guru and knows how to sell
himself in ten words, though.

I will certainly use Adwords in the future, probably with the paid
assistance of the guy in #2. :)

HTH

Cheers

Ian