[thelist] Please test my page? -- fixed?

Ian Anderson ian at zstudio.co.uk
Wed Mar 16 17:03:05 CST 2005

Rachell wrote:

>Thank you guys for checking it so quickly!  I made some changes to the CSS -
>does the curve now show up?

Hi Rachell,

nice site... I see the curve. :)

Just an observation regarding the CSS rollovers on the top nav. In IE6
Windows, there is an appreciable lag (something like 0.5-1.0 seconds) as
the image seems to unload and then reload in the rollover state. The
reverse happens onmouseout.

I see this a lot in CSS rollovers, and I'm not sure if there is any way
to address it. I notice you're using a script from
http://www.xs4all.nl/~peterned/csshover.html using .htc files to define
behaviors for elements other than  A tags. Now, I am not sure if the
thing I am seeing is a CSS thing or  IE trying to parse all the elements
in the DOM tree every time you mouse over these links; sorry, don't have
time to test it just now.

It is sufficiently bad that I personally would not use image-based CSS
rollovers on a commercial site if that is where the problem lies,
although I am not sure how sensitive end users are to the aesthetics
involved. Maybe they would not notice; to me it is like a big red nose
on a statue. Or something. Anyway.

Although CSS is now an increasingly common way of doing image rollovers,
in the world's most popular browser the result looks way shoddy. This is
not a reflection on your work, incidentally; looks great. It's just your
site has this symptom and you asked for feedback.

Just thought I'd mention it.

On a general note, I am somewhat old school and think first of JS for
behaviour and CSS for presentation. What is actually wrong with JS
rollovers? Is it that rollovers are kind of more about presentation than
behaviour, strictly speaking?

All the best

Ian Anderson