[thelist] Re: Rapid IA Prototyping

Daniel LeVangie-Stricklen muraii at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 17 10:31:12 CST 2005

<quote = Emagin>
I have a few requirements to do fast prototypes:

1) Objects/Shapes must link and have basic
'intelligence' (to move,
grow,
allow formatting, etc.)
2) Must support smart templates and sections so I can
print out a large
document without repeating info
3) Capable to rapid push to HTML
</quote>

Eventually, I'd like to be doing work of a substance
that would require this complexity.  At the moment,
though, it'll be much lower-end than this.  I looked
into paper prototyping, which may work out okay, too;
but I prefer the cleanliness of digital mock-ups.

<quote = Emagin>

Visio can do all these but more importantly, because
it is truly ODBC
aware,
you can link it up to all kinds of data to generate
graphical info
dynamically. This is a bit overkill, but it can come
in handy for
larger
projects.

</quote>

It's overkill if for no other reason than that it's
$500.  However, now that I think about it, our IT
group might have prototyping practices and tools,
possibly including Visio; so maybe it's a matter of
finding a free seat.

<quote = Emagin>

Ok so here are some great links for you:
http://www.guuui.com/issues/02_03_02.php     For
web-pages this is
awesome
and soo powerful
http://tinyurl.com/5desv	More for UML (weak in Visio)
but interesting
http://tinyurl.com/6o76g	This is not so useful but
gives you a
glimpse into power / possibilities

</quote>

I skimmed.  Very nice.  I like especially the links to
other resources and articles, like Boxes and Arrows.
I've been putting off (mostly despite my interest)
looking deeply into IA study, like, for instance,
reading Tufte's or others' work on the fundamentals,
let alone dig into Use Cases and all that.

Very helpful reply.  Thank you.

Daniel