[thelist] Centering horizontally on page, IE5-compatible

Dave Merrill dmerrill at usa.net
Fri Mar 18 17:53:54 CST 2005

Please excuse if this is obvious...

Is there any css-based way to center a block element horizontally on the
page that works for IE5/win? It also needs to work for other relatively
popular browsers going back a ways, on Mac and Win and ideally 'nix.

I have IE5, IE55, IE6, Opera75, and Firefox101, all on windows, and the
following works for all but IE5:

  margin: 0 auto;

Any ideas? Or is this just not possible in IE5?

I may not want to know, but does the above code work for popular semi-recent
Mac browsers too? Linux/Unix?

Thanks,

Dave Merrill