[thelist] determine if a server is running unix

Dejan Kozina dejan at kozina.com
Sat Mar 19 16:54:05 CST 2005

Trying to keep it simple:
Windows-based servers are case-insensitive about the file path. This
means that if you have a http://intranetserver/filename.htm and get the
same file when requesting http://intranetserver/FILENAME.htm, it's
Windows, otherwise it's (99%) some Unix/Linux.
The phpinfo() means only that PHP is not installed on the server. Just
to be sure, try renaming the file to .php3 and/or .phtml (in case of a
very old installation).
To discover the web server software use the LiveHttpHeaders extension
for Moz/FF or the freeware ViewHead from
http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/viewhead/. Most servers put a text string
there with the server name and version. While the server admin can
disable this behavior, nobody really bothers about that on an intranet.

djn

--
Dejan Kozina
Dolina 346 (TS) - I-34018 Italy