[thelist] Windows Component Services Limit?

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Wed Mar 23 18:23:20 CST 2005

: From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-
: bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Hershel Robinson
: Subject: [thelist] Windows Component Services Limit?
:
: We have a site whose backend is entirely MS VB 6 code. There
: is an EXE which calls a DLL. That DLL is in Component Services
: on the server, which runs MS Server 2000. We have discovered
: that if there are more than 9 concurrent instances of the DLL,
: then all those instances beyond 9 will error instead of ending
: normally.
:
: We have confirmed this via a desktop application which
: calls a DLL. 9 desktop apps can call the DLL concurrently
: and they all return normally. If 10 apps call it,
 then the 10th will error. This I tested on Windows
: Professional 2000.
:
: The DLL is a single-threaded apartment.
:
: Any ideas?
:
: Is this a fixed limit or is this there someway
: around this? The DLL for the desktop test has
: been configured to NOT connect to any database.

I'm am not aware of any such limit. Also, I'm not entirely sure what you mean
by a "work around", as we can't even tell what you mean by "errors" - what is
the error? And what's raising the error?

You may wish to ask on one of the COM-focussed MS newsgroups for the best way
forward in terms of running a debug session to locate what's causing the
error.

Cheers
Ken

--