[thelist] Site critique please!

M. Seyon evoltlist at delime.com
Wed Mar 30 14:02:24 CST 2005

Message from Chris Kavanagh (3/30/2005 11:54 AM)

>Dear list,
>
>I've (very hastily) put together a site for a client.
>Those so inclined should sharpen their long knives and head over to:
>http://www.innercircle.eu.com

Oooh boy my favourite. Site critiques.

What's the purpose of this site?

Is it something you're going to direct people to after you've briefed them
on what the company is about, or is it something you hope they'll find via
search engine or some other third party referer?

If it's the latter you may want to do a bit of a rethink. The front page
says nothing. It's all buzzwords.

And do those links on the front page mean "existing clients login here" and
"existing consultants login here"? Or "I want to be your client" and "I
want to consult with you". Or "I'm a client looking for consultants."

The navigation looks pretty slick. What happens if, god forbid, someone
wanders in with images off, however? This applies to the front page too,
incidentally. Why is everything, even plain text links, an image?

"Inner Circle can help you pragmatically."

First off, big words are all well and good, but they can make you sound
supercilious. And put your foot in your mouth too. I had to look up the
word pragmatic. So you've made me feel stupid. Plus the meaning I found was
"meddlesome" in the Oxford English Dictionary. And online at
dictionary.com, "Active in an officious or meddlesome way." and "Dogmatic;
dictatorial." So I'm already feeling stupid and now I think you're
meddlesome and dictatorial, on top of being supercilious. Yup, we've
certainly started this relationship off on the right foot.

On neither of the two initial pages, Clients or Consultants, is there any
quick way for me to contact you. I need to go look for the navigation and
click on the contact link. Your content isn't that heavy. Would it have
been that hard to put the email address at the bottom? Or link to the
contact page from within the content. See paragraph below, excerpted from
the Consultants page.

" If you have a passion for challenges, are strong enough to demand clarity
of objectives synchronised to success metrics, enjoy recognition with fair
reward, and wish to perform with the elite few, [link]please contact
us[/link]."

regards.
-marc

--
Trinidad Carnival in all its photographic glory. Playyuhself.com
http://www.playyuhself.com/