[thelist] Illegal to link?

Rob Schumann roblgs at cscoms.com
Wed Mar 30 19:31:01 CST 2005

Dan,

On 30-03-2005at 11:34, dan.mccullough at gmail.com (Dan
McCullough) wrote:

 > This sounds like taking the copyright idea to a new
 > extreme. Its a given that if you take the information
 > and say, oh its my own, or something like that that it
 > would be illegal, but they are basically redirecting
 > some one to a site without any claims that it the
 > redirectors content.
 >
 > I dont see where this benefits/protects WebMD at all.

I could not agree with you more... looks like another
example of common sense taking a back seat. What possible
benefit/protection does such a stance give to WebMD,
errecting barriers like this to people to simply provide a
link back to content on your website... providing as it does
a network of free advertising.

This isn't going to get the bad guys at all and could even,
perversely, encourage outright content theft by serving to
actively discourage some of the good ones from linking in at
all... Deep linking or otherwise, it's all links into your
website, afterall.

But then I have no legal grounding!

Regards

Rob