[thelist] .NET CLR

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Wed Apr 6 18:37:30 CDT 2005

www.adOpenStatic.com/cs/blogs/ken/
: -----Original Message-----
: From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-
: bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Chris.Marsh at Callserve.com
: Sent: Thursday, 7 April 2005 2:27 AM
: To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
: Subject: RE: [thelist] .NET CLR
:
: Ken
:
: > Add/Remove Programs Control Panel will tell you
: >
: > "Reliable" is a subjective word though - in a default
: > configuration the
: > listing in Add/Remove Programs will tell you. If someone goes
: > out of their
: > way to hide this from the Control Panel, you will need to
: > seek other means.
:
: Thanks for the response. I did not find it in the control panel, and have
: no
: evidence to suggest that its installation is being hidden.

Hi there,

The .NET Framework is typically installed to:
C:\winnt\Microsoft.NET\framework\<framework version number>\
So that's another place you can check

You can download the bare redistributable (doesn't come with developer
documentation etc) from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=262D25E3-F589-4842-8
157-034D1E7CF3A3&displaylang=en It's about 25MB. You just run the installer
to install .NET. If IIS is currently installed, then the appropriate hooks
into IIS will be added for you by the installer. If you don't have an
up-to-date MDAC you'll be prompted to install that first (but you've probably
updated that already).

After installing the .NET v1.1 there's one service pack, and one security
fix:
.NET Framework SP1
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a8f5654f-088e-40b2-b
bdb-a83353618b38&DisplayLang=en

.NET Framework Patch MS05-004:
www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-004.mspx

For developer machines you probably want to download the SDK as well
(documentation, samples etc):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9B3A2CA6-3647-4070-9
F41-A333C6B9181D&displaylang=en

The MSDN ASP.NET homepage is a good place to keep up-to-date with things
coming from Microsoft
http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/

Cheers
Ken

: The context is that we need to upgrade to .NET as a development
: technology.
: In order to get up to speed, we need to use it on an intranet server
: initially in order to avoid any disruption to live services. However, even
: significant disruption to intranet services is unacceptable, so I'm trying
: to find out the best manner in which to install the least possible
: software
: in order to start using .NET on a Windows 2000 Server. Do you have any
: tips
: that may assist me in coming up with an implementation strategy, by any
: chance?