[thelist] Frontpage verses Dreamweaver

Ian Anderson ian at zstudio.co.uk
Thu Apr 14 03:24:55 CDT 2005

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK wrote:

>one - indentation - yes this is the most annoying one, I don't want my
>indentation look like a chainsaw.

Agreed. Doesn't break the site or validation though

>second, it add its dw_xxx scripts even if I do not want.

When? The only time DW inserts JS other than when applying behaviours
through the UI is when you insert a layer item. We don't use that
feature, surely...

>three, it opens and closes DB connections whenever I put a dynamic
>widget in the page. ideally the connection should be opened on the top
>of the page, and closed at the bottom (however this was around v3 of
>DW, I don't know if it still aplies)

DW UltraDev was the first version to offer DB stuff, based on V4. DW MX
integrated the UltraDev functionality into the main product. In my
experience it has never behaved in the way you describe; when inserting
recordset objects it always closes connections at the end of the page.

Incidentally, this isn't the ideal way to build dynamic pages from a
performance standpoint. The sooner the connection is closed, the better
- in ASP at any rate.

>four, it has localization issues, the desing view does not fully
>support CP-1254 (I found a patch for it but it did not work, may be it
>has been fixed now)

Not having used anything other than International English software, I
respect your opinion on issues with other languages

>... other interesting stuff ...
>

>Everyone is free to think as they like. I repeat, DW being not my
>favorite program does not mean that it is to suck for anyone else.
>
>Cheers,
>Volkan

Quite so. DW does have lots of bugs, and I love it regardless (horrible
crappy thing that it is). Dreamweaver MX 2004 is much better at
rendering CSS than MX, but it still gives up on complex floats and so
on. So do some browsers.

But the assertion was that "it messes things up". Other than code
formatting with white space, I can't see it messes anything up. None of
Volkan's erudite observations affect the output.

This thread started with an "average joe" kind of user. Give Average Joe
notepad or homesite, and he will create nonsense. Or, more likely, nothing.

Any WYSIWYG editor is better than none if you are not thoroughly
knowledgeable and conscienscious.

DW may be the best of a bad bunch, but it is the best nonetheless for
most people.