[thelist] CMS Quest

Aaron Wormus aaron at wormus.com
Fri Apr 15 00:41:57 CDT 2005

Rich Points wrote:

> I just discovered http://typo3.org/  I installed it and have been
> playing around with it for a few days, if it does everything it claims
> this thing is IT.  Is anyone out there using Typo3?  What has been
> your experience?

Typo3 is one of the only really advanced open source CMS systems
available. It shouldn't be compared to Drupal or Mambo since the
objective is quite different.

Drupal is focused on community sites, Mambo isn't as focused but is
(IMO) more difficult to customize. The programable interface that Typo3
provides makes it far more suited for wider usage, from small company
websites, to larger infrastructures with users/groups etc.  This added
functionality comes at the price of a steep learning curve, but it is
certainly worth it.

Here in Germany the user base of Typo3 is very big but the great thing
about it is that you can't recognise Typo3 sites like you can *nuke, or
Drupal sites. A nice example of Typo3 is the LinuxTag site:
http://www.linuxtag.org/2005/de/home.html