[thelist] Is it safe yet? 1024 x 768

Paul Waring pwaring at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 13:51:28 CDT 2005

On 4/14/05, Rob Smith <rob.smith at thermon.com> wrote:
> Is it safe yet to move on up? Or be a good designer get a design together
> flexible enough to handle everything?

If a quarter of the people accessing your site are still running
800x600 (no idea how accurate that statistic is, but let's run with it
for now) I think you'd be a bit foolish to move on up to designs that
only work in 1024x768 as you're likely to alienate a lot of people.

On a personal note, I run my Powerbook on 1280x854 but I don't
maximise windows so I won't necessarily be viewing a site at that
resolution even if screen size detection scripts think I am. If your
site makes me scroll horizontally I'm going to close the tab and not
come back, unless it's something *really* important.

Paul

--
Rogue Tory
www.roguetory.org.uk