[thelist] so what is web design?

Kasimir K evolt at kasimir-k.fi
Sun Apr 17 12:21:57 CDT 2005

One common meaning has been just the graphic design of web pages. In my
opinion it would be good if web design would be commonly understood as
something broader.

Merriam Webster tells us "design" is: "1 : to create, fashion, execute,
or construct according to plan".

Constructing a web site involves among other things planing what and how
to present to the users of that site, so...

alex scribeva in 2005-04-17 15:37:
> interaction design
> information architecture

... these of course are parts of it, but ...

> graphic design for the VDU.
>
> thats about it.

... this leaves out users accessing the site with other user agents than
visual browsers.

Web design includes many disciplines, but different sites require them
in very different proportions: think needs for information architecture,
graphic design and accessibility for graphic artist's portfolio site and
governmental information portal.

The range of those disciplines is so wide, that I wouldn't try to make
an exhaustive list.

.k