[thelist] Macromedia and Adobe, sitting in a tree.. Adobe Flash? Macromedia Acrobat? [WAS: Safari 1.3]

Zug, Bryan Bryan.Zug at seattlechildrens.org
Mon Apr 18 10:00:48 CDT 2005

The thing that scares me about the merger (as a Flash Web App Dev and
primary user of MM tools) is that the cultures seem so different (in
ways that have lead to vastly successful or less than successful product
development histories).

For example, comparing footprint/feature/performance ratios of the Flash
and Acrobat clients leaves me with the non-scientific gut feeling that
Acrobat is bloated and Flash is not (something that, unless my gut needs
serious re-calibration [entirely possible], we may all be able to agree
on -- whether or not we are zealously pro or con either technology, or
web plugins in general).

I guess I just have a hard time believing that you can 'purchase' the
kind of culture that has kept Flash small, efficient, and robust.

Beyond that -- I love fireworks -- and it seems like one of the logical
product casualties of the merger (along with GoLive and Freehand -- any
others?) -- which makes me sad -- I am actually feeling a strange sense
of grief as I start my day of editing .png UI prototypes in fireworks.

much love --

zug

--
Bryan Zug
WBT Developer

--
"The comedy of man survives the tragedy of man."
-  G.K. Chesterton, 'All things Considered'