[thelist] SSL Question

Maximillian Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Mon Apr 18 13:51:50 CDT 2005

Hershel Robinson wrote:
> It could well be that I am wrong, but I don't think that the average layman
> knows the least about such techniques. Anyone have evidence otherwise?

It's not the average person you'd be concerned about.  It's the one in a
thousand who can (like many on this list) spot such trickery, and may
well call you on it, and question your companies ethics, perhaps do so
publicly.  That could potentially be a big headache for your client and
you, and for....what advantage?  The average person doesn't realize
they've left a site even when the domain does visibly change, provided
that the look-feel-behavior does not change - at least the logo and
basic colors should remain consistent.  So given that, why not just
brand the donations page appropriately to make clear the connection, and
perhaps give a note to let the user know that Such-and-Such process the
donation payments on behalf of Your Client and to expect the donation
transaction to be listed as Such-and-Such, and give a contact phone
number if there are questions, etc.

IMHO maintaining trust should be one of the top goals when considering
visitors' interaction with your [client's] website.  Frameset-hiding and
similar tactics can potnetially cause that trust to erode, and to little
real advantage.

--
Maximillian Von Schwanekamp
http://www.neptunewebworks.com/