[thelist] How do I replicate this table behaviour in CSS?

Chris Kavanagh chris at logorocks.com
Tue Apr 19 11:19:28 CDT 2005

Dear list,

I'd like certain paragraphs in my client's website to have a background
colour.  The colour should fill 100% of the column, but the contents
will usually be less than 100% wide.

The paragraphs will be created on the fly by my client, so doing this
needs to be extremely simple.  (He'll be using Contribute so I can
train him to an extent.)

The content might be text - one or several paragraphs - or it might be
images.

My instinct is to tell him to knock up a table each time with
width:100% and a bgcolor, but I hear that using tables for presentation
is considered by some to be somewhat gauche, so I wonder if such a
thing is possible in CSS.

Muchos gracias,
CK.