[thelist] cross-platform file names

Chris Hayes chris at lwcdial.net
Wed Apr 20 12:50:45 CDT 2005

> > Fred D Yocum wrote:
>The Web master is quite happy to change my file names to fit his likes and
>desires,  so I need fairly concrete reasons for the present guidelines.

I would need a concrete reason to fly in the face of common sense and
deliberately change a file name to include spaces, it sounds a very large
Can-O-Worms to me.

If I download the file:
    my_file_is_here.doc

instead of
    my file is here.doc

to my desktop...  what do I lose out on?  What's the great advantage with
the spaces that means I should risk a lot of mucking about in the future?

I can recall numerous occasions where file names with spaces have put a
tariff on my workload. I still say avoid them.