[thelist] New Session Failed

Michele Foster (WizarDev) michele at wizardev.ca
Thu Apr 21 00:46:19 CDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Schaefer" <Ken at adOpenStatic.com>

> Pressing stop in your browser, just tells IE to stop waiting for a
response
> from the server. The server is still busy processing your infinite loop.
> Eventually IIS will timeout the ASP script if it doesn't return.
>
> The default timeout period is 90 seconds (this is configurable: use IIS
> Manager -> right click on your website/application -> properties -> Home
> Directory tab -> Configuration button -> Options tab -> ASP Script
Timeout).

> Only at this point will IIS kill the thread processing the ASP page.

Ok, I checked my timeout and it is at 90 seconds.  It sure did seem like a
lot longer.  I've since finished the code,  so I'm not creating infinite
loops anymore, anyway.  :)   I do know for next time to knock down the
timeout to a lot lower number to see if that helps free up the browser,
email and explorer (and even WMP) which all froze while trying to process
the bad code (probably a problem as identified below).

> : Without resorting to rebooting the computer,
> : does anyone know how to correct
> : this .. allow me to have a new session?
> : Of course, if I stopped writing infinite loops,
> : I wouldn't be having this problem.  :)
> : Any way I can just restart IIS or something
> : of that nature?  Rebooting takes way too long.
>
> IIS lives in a bunch of services. You can restart those services via the
> Services Admin Tool (GUI), or by using net stop / net start (CLI).
>
> IIS actually provides a command line tool to do this for you :-) IISReset.
>
> Start -> Run -> IISReset
>
> Run iisreset /? from a command prompt to see all the options.

Ok,  will keep it in mind.  I ended up abandoning the approach I was trying
to get working, do while/until loops, and ending up using data shaping for
my sql statement which works like a breeze.  Always more than one way to
skin a cat.  :)

> : I think I have more problems, as I'm
> : getting out of Virtual memory errors
> : when barely anything is open.
> : I don't think the problems are related...
> : but who knows.  Might be about time
> : for a reinstall of Win2k  :(
>
> In Task Manager go to the Processes tab, and then select View -> Select
> columns and ensure that Memory Usage and Virtual Memory are selected.
Check
> the box that says "Show processes from all users". Now sort by Memory
Usage,
> and see what processes are consuming excessive amounts of memory, or
virtual
> memory.

Thanks for the tip on showing the Virtual Memory, it wasn't being displayed
on my task manager before, so I had no idea what was going on.  Turns out it
was dllhost.exe that was "stealing" a vast amount of my memory, and probably
the culprit of my problems indicated above too.  I've since run windows
update (I was long over due) and so far all is great.  I did google search
for dllhost and memory problems, most of the results are over my head.  :)
I'll keep my eye on it and see if the problem reoccurs.  It's actually a
very recent problem, and I suspect I may have installed something I
shouldn't have.  When I get some free time, I'll be doing a vast cleanup and
hopefully all will be great for a long time to come.

I do have a non-web related question, that I thought I would ask ... I'll
probably eventually do a full Windows reinstall ... I used Windows to
partition my drive to two parts, C and D ... how best should I reformat C to
do a clean reinstall of all software without losing anything on D?  Offlist
replies are most welcome, so as not to upset the list admins.

Thanks for the responses to my original queries.  Knock on wood, that things
will stay stabilized for at least two more weeks.  :)

Mich