[thelist] browser detection on server side

Maximillian Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Thu Apr 21 04:46:32 CDT 2005

Michael Pemberton wrote:
> Has anyone else started having problems with some sites that use the
> UserAgent header string to decide what functionality to offer?

Ugh, haven't we all?  Of course it's not usually IE that is locked out...

> I recently found that Microsoft was not allowing me to use IE to access
> officeupdate.com.  I kept telling me that I must be using a Mac and I
> should go elsewhere for my updates.

The UserAgent Switcher[0] extension for Firefox has helped me in that
situation in the past.  Might not help you for OfficeUpdate (MS and
their Active X), but that learning service site probably would work.
Opera's Identify-As switcher should do about the same.  FWIW.

[0] http://chrispederick.com/work/firefox/useragentswitcher/

--
Maximillian Von Schwanekamp
http://www.neptunewebworks.com/