[thelist] Password-Protect Downloadable Excel Files

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Tue Apr 26 19:31:37 CDT 2005

Is this actually an Excel spreadsheet or a CSV (Comma Separated Value)
document?

The former is a proprietary binary format which you can use the native
password functionality (for example you could use Office Automation and the
Excel objects to set this, or the Jet OLEDB Provider I believe can
create/alter Excel spreadsheets and you'd be able to set a password that
way).

The latter is just a text file with values separated with commas, and records
separated with line breaks. There is no "password" functionality that comes
inbuilt with text files.

Cheers
Ken

--