[thelist] Page load progress indicator

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Wed May 4 10:17:22 CDT 2005

On 5/4/05, Joe Ngo <chilijoe at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I have done such a thing. When the page was called I displayed the progress
> > > bar, using for the bar itself a div with a background colour. I then used
> > > setInterval to increase the width of the div by a percentage over time. The
> > > onload event handler then turned the whole thing off.
> > >

> > What happened to users without JavaScript?
> >
> Perhaps a more interesting question is, what happens when a network
> problem occurs, and the user sees the progress bar grow beyond 100%,
> 200%, 300%, ...

Progress bars of the type described here usually do not go beyond 90%
or 95%. Relatively simple to add an 'if' condition to handle that.

If this was a serious concern, then one would go for a streaming of
javascript calls sent via output buffering, or a similar method. But
99% of the time the type described is sufficient (but it depends on
the audience).

--
Matt Warden
Miami University