[thelist] OT -deleting dupLicates in excel document

Roger Ly evolt at matchpenalty.com
Thu May 5 11:34:00 CDT 2005

>Is there a relatively quick way to get rid of the duplicates
>in excel without doing in manually? We're talking about 6,000 names
>here.

Bruce,

Learned this from a co-worker who claims there isn't an automated way to
delete/find duplicates:

Add an extra column next to your email column, let's assume your email is in
column A, and that new column is column B.  (Data goes from A1 -> A6000).

Sort the data by column A, so all your email addresses are sorted.

In column B1, enter in the value FALSE.

In column B2, enter the formula (without quotes)
	"=A1=A2"

Copy that formula in data cells B3->B6000

Now that B column has values telling you if the current row has the same
value as the previous row.

Now, select all the data in column B, and re-paste it into that column using
Paste Special -> Paste: Values.  (Make sure you choose the actual values and
not the formula).  This will allow you to sort on column B in the next step.

Now, take all your data, and sort it by column B.

The top set of values in column B will be "FALSE", meaning that these were
the original values.

The bottom set will be "TRUE" meaning that these were duplicate values.

Just delete all rows whose value in column B is TRUE.

HTH,

Roger