[thelist] a couple of quick questions regarding web page size/CSS

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Thu May 5 16:13:46 CDT 2005

> 1) If you are linking to a CSS file from a web page, is the size of
> the CSS file included in the overall page size?

Yes, anything is included in the page size, including css, images,
javascript and inline objects, I'm not sure whether "alternate" css
also adds up. But I am pretty sure that the base css file adds up to
page load time.

> 2) What is the *optimal* size for a web page (quick loading).

80000 to 10000 bytes (again including everything, js, css, images, and
the HTML file itself. The less is better of course. General rule of
thumb is it should take 8-10 seconds in a 56K connection.

> 3) Is there any kind of tool that will delete elements from your
> stylesheet not being called?

I'm not sure. But I don't think so. And I would not use it if there
were such a tool. Consider you assign css dynamically (typical example
can be a ul converted to a dhtml menu. Since the classes will be
assigned at runtime(not the most correct term) and your tool being
unaware of it will remove them from the css.

A simpler example, consider you use some css class in A.html but you
do not use it in B.html but you include the css file for both of the
pages (that's what external css files are for ain't they?) what should
your tool supposed to do?

I'd prefer to design my page and css carefully rather than relying on
an automated tool.

HTH,
Volkan.