[thelist] How Do ASP.NET Web Controls Work?

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Sat May 7 09:08:00 CDT 2005

>   So, how do they work? Is there any competing technology from say
> Java? Anything that compares in functionality to them?

In java & jsp, you can use custom tag libraries as per the controls.
And imho java's j2ee architecture is better than MS's .net
arcitecture. But that's just my personal taste of use. You can
implement an identical, say a web-based Project Management Module, in
jsp&j2ee or .net easily. For it is somewhat wysiwyg (which I don't
like for several reasons which we discussed in former threads),
asp.net is easier to learn, try, implement.

afaik, there are no builtin controls in jsp, you have to write them
yourself. However there are good tag libraries around to suit your
needs (browse apache.org for a while if you're interested) Once you
write a tag library you use it for a lifetime, just like .net's custom
controls.

My personal view is that MS is good at front end say presentation
layer. And J2EE is good at backoffice (say controller layer, database
interaction, data to object mapping etc.)

So I would prefer java if my business logic is rather complex and I
need robust business objects to handle them (namely EJB's). Say a
financial application, transaction based systems which cannot tolerate
errors, insurance applications should go better with Java&JSP&J2EE.

On the other hand one would choose .net architecture for a CMS for
instance, where presentation layer is more important than the business
layer.

Both java and .net are competing technologies, both have their pro's
and cons. And as they compete both technologies help improve
themselves (generally by imitating one another :) )

HTH,
Volkan.