[thelist] Database of contries administrative subdivisions

Marcello Cerruti mar961 at libero.it
Sun May 8 11:00:41 CDT 2005

After lurking for some time, I doing my first question:
does anybody knows any available databases of administrative subdivision of the main countries?
I'm searching for each main contry (USA, France, Spain, Germany, etc) a database at city level.
What I have found until now is an excellent DB of Italian "comuni" (cities) each one correlated to the relative "provincia" (province, county, department, etc.) and to the relative "regione" (region, state, lander, etc)
http://www.cfmentor.com/code/index.cfm?action=zipped&id=57
And a good one for the U.K.(SNAC 2004)
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/geography/snac.asp
I have also found excel files of what UN call 1st Administrative level (regione, region, state, lander, etc) and 2nd Administrative level (province, county, department, etc.)
http://www3.who.int/whosis/gis/salb/salb_coding.htm
but unluckily no 3rd level: cities.
In other searches I have found (Census Spain) all the cities (ayuntamentos), but not correlated to the upper 2nd and 1st administrative level, so it was of no use...
Any DB file format would be OK, even an excel file could work... MySQL would be simply excellent!
Thanks in advance
Marcello Cerruti