[thelist] Accessible PDF, accessible Flash

Stephane Deschamps stephane.deschamps at gmail.com
Wed May 11 07:14:33 CDT 2005

On 5/11/05, Keith Gaughan wrote:
> Stephane Deschamps wrote:
>
> > PDF
> > Anybody has produced accessible PDF files? How much more do they
> > weigh? Is it easy?
> > (insert here any other info worth mentioning)
>
> First of all, I think you'll have to define what you mean by accessible
> PDF files. If by it, you mean usable by a screen reader, then if you
> have Acrobat 7, go to the view menu, and under that there's an option
> for reading the file aloud.

You're right, I should be more precise.

Here's an example: AFAIK multicolumn content is read on a per-line
basis: line1 col1, line1 col2, then line2 col1, line2 col2, then line3
col1, line3 col2.

I'm told that you can create links between col1 and col2 now, so that
col1 is read entirely and then the cursor can follow to col2
(follow-up links between chunks of content, so to speak -- sorry, I've
got the word in french and I'm not sure to be clear).

Samely: in HTML we've got TH's for TD's to refer to. Can the same
structuration be done for tables inside a PDF?

--
Stephane Deschamps
personal: http://nota-bene.org/