[thelist] Hosting multiple domains

Paul Waring pwaring at gmail.com
Mon May 16 10:48:49 CDT 2005

On 5/16/05, rhett crowe <rhett at fcs.uga.edu> wrote:
> I usually work on a proprietary server, so have not had much experience
> with shared ones. I will be setting up my own space soon, and I notice
> some hosts allow multiple domains. How does this work? Can I have a
> site named www.rhett.com and another named www.dogs.com and only pay
> for one hosting (considering they stay within space allotments)? What
> are the pros and cons?

It depends on what your host means really - I personally have a
reseller account on which I can host as many domains as I like,
provided I don't go over my storage and bandwidth quotas for the
account as a whole. Other hosts may let you host multiple domains but
charge you a small fee for each one (seeing as they'll be allocating
resources to handle DNS for each domain, as well as mail and some web
server configuration). You'd have to ask your host exactly what fees
are involved as they all do things differently in my experience.

I don't know what you mean by the pros and cons as such, hosting all
your domains on one machine would make maintenance easier and allow
you to share resources such as databases more easily, but it does mean
if that box goes down you lose access to all of your sites.

Paul

--
Rogue Tory
http://www.roguetory.org.uk