[thelist] Hosting multiple domains

Chris Johnston fuzzylizard at gmail.com
Mon May 16 11:01:01 CDT 2005

On 5/16/05, rhett crowe <rhett at fcs.uga.edu> wrote:
> I usually work on a proprietary server, so have not had much experience
> with shared ones. I will be setting up my own space soon, and I notice
> some hosts allow multiple domains. How does this work? Can I have a
> site named www.rhett.com and another named www.dogs.com and only pay
> for one hosting (considering they stay within space allotments)? What
> are the pros and cons?

In a word, Yes. This is exactly what it means. I currently have three
domains being hosted from my one account.

Pros: one price tag, shared resources like databases and scripts, very
easy management

Cons: bandwidth, space, email limitations are shared across all
domains. So, for example, if one domain gets really popular and uses
up the bandwidth limit, this will affect all the domains hosted on
that one account.

--
chris johnston

www.fuzzylizard.com

"For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals and
something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination, we
learned to talk."
Pink Floyd