[thelist] SEO

Jono ox4dboy at comcast.net
Tue May 17 15:26:54 CDT 2005

On May 16, 2005, at 5:53 PM, Mattias Thorslund wrote:

> Jono wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to make Flash links indexable?  Adding URL links to a
>> Flash file is simple in Flash, but can they be applied in HTML?
>>

> Oh, the solution is simpler than you think: Don't make flash-only web
> sites. Provide a non-flash version with all the links you need. This
> will help a lot of your visitors, too - everyone who doesn't use
> flash, because they don't like it (like me) or because it's not
> available to them.
>
> /Mattias

I generally stay away from Flash, but have recently started using it
again.  I don't build Flash websites, I am building a site (for myself)
where I am going to be using Flash in a rotating Header Promo spot.  It
is more or less a slideshow for different services, which is going to
be placed in a header <div> on my home page.  The promo will link to
different service areas within my site, but the links are generated
within Flash with buttons.

Because it is a promo spot I am not too concerned with the linking
issue.  There will be many other links in the site's navigation that go
to the same areas that the Flash file links to, the Flash file is there
to promote.  I think I will be OK, since other links in the site will
be pure (X)HTML.  The Flash file is just supplemental, for lack of a
better word.

Example of layout:
_________________________
|          Utility Links, Search...        |  < - - Skip nav, style
switcher, search, utilities
|      FLASH HEADER HERE       |  < - - Rotating Flash Promo with links
to internal pages
|            Main Navigation               |  < - - Site's nav, also
contains promo's internal links
|                Body content                 |
|                Footer                              |

I am as much of a purist as the next guy/gal, I just have a need to use
the technology that is at my disposal.  I can't abandon Flash b/c it
doesn't play nice with all the standards that I try to adhere to.