[thelist] SKU Numbers?

Megan Holbrook meganwh at wi.rr.com
Wed May 18 12:31:11 CDT 2005

Burhan Khalid wrote:

>   I'm looking at resources on generating SKU numbers.  Is there a
> predefined format? Some industry standard? When do you generate a new
> SKU for a product?  I've been doing some research, and my understanding
> can be summarized in this example:
>
>   Item being sold : Widget (SKU#1)
>                     Red Widget (SKU#2)
>                     Green Widget (SKU#3)
>                     Green Widget with lights (SKU#4)
>
>   Basically, for each variation of the product, there is a new SKU. Is
> this correct? Thanks for any information.

You might also consider applying for a UCC company prefix so that your
SKUs will have a unique identifier if you are planning to have the
products available through multiple channels (note: this area of
business is not at all my specialty, but something I ran into a while
ago while doing research, and someone else may have better information
about whether this is necessary or not.)

http://www.uc-council.org/ean_ucc_system/stnds_and_tech/auto_id.html

HTH, M.
Megan Holbrook - megan at kapow.com
Partner - Business Development
kapow, inc. (www.kapow.com) - website design and development

kapow, inc. Milwaukee               kapow, inc. Los Angeles
2405 E. Wyoming Place               1301 Montana Ave., Suite A
Milwaukee, WI 53202                 Santa Monica, CA  90403
T: 414-273-2446 * F: 419-278-9056   T: 310.394.5276 * F: 310.394.5278