[thelist] Illegal domain name on an intranet?

Jay Blanchard jay.blanchard at niicommunications.com
Wed May 18 11:44:23 CDT 2005

[snip]
I don't run a server so I haven't a clue about this, but is it possible
set up an intranet so that it will serve a domain with an illegal domain
name? For example, x.net? I assume the answer is no, but I hope to find
out
I'm wrong.

I'm asking because I'm a communications consultant and we have a client
who
would like to run an in-company benefits program using an extremely
short
domain name and it would be cool if we could get around the
three-letter-prefix barrier.
[/snip]

This is rather easy to test, but the answer is yes. Dependent upon the
set up of your network you can address some servers directly with their
server name, i.e. 'http://foo'