[thelist] ie and gecko break the page, opera 8 didn't

dwain at alforddesigngroup.com dwain at alforddesigngroup.com
Thu May 19 11:11:23 CDT 2005

i was working on a page last night helping someone on another list when
i noticed a strange phenomenon.  i was zooming text in ie, moz, ff,
nn7.2, nn8Beta and opera 8.

i had a negative margin set for a div to position it.  when i zoomed the
text, the negative div broke the design (crawling up the page) in all of
the browsers except opera 8.  the page stayed together and resized in
relation to all of the elements.  margins and text increased
proportionately instead of disproportionately like in the other browsers.

don't get me wrong, i'm a mozilla fan, but this caught me by surprise. i
would love for the mozilla developers to develop mozilla and firefox to
do the same thing.  maybe bill might do it in ie, uh, 9?

i think that this development is a positive step for cross-browser and
cross-platform standards.  it would be wonderful if we could eliminate
hacks in the future by developing products that behaved the same.  sure
this would mean that a "trade secret" becomes "public domain", but look
at the benefit for the web community and for web designers; and for
standards that we are all striving to introduce and implement.

dwain
--
Dwain Alford
http://www.alforddesigngroup.com

"The artist may use any form which his expression demands;
for his inner impulse must find suitable expression."
Wassily Kandinsky, "Concerning The Spiritual In Art"

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0520-3, 05/19/2005
Tested on: 5/19/2005 11:11:24 AM