[thelist] Looking for simple way to get JS statistics from my visitors.

Sarah Sweeney sarah at designshift.com
Fri May 20 14:20:08 CDT 2005

> Right, and "users with Javascript-capable browsers" makes no sense as a
> target audience.

Why not? It's no different than building software that requires a
certain level of hardware or a particular operating system.

> This runs completely counter to the entire reason the Web exists to
> begin with. The idea is, one means of accessing information
> electronically, regardless of computer type, operating system, client
> program (browser), etc. That is why Tim Berners-Lee created the Web,
> because this didn't exist.

I think the web is a lot more now than it was then. You're basically
saying there should be *no* requirements to view a web page but there
always are *some* requirements, e.g. a computer, an internet connection,
etc. Who are we to judge what requirements someone else may or may not
have on their web site?

As the OP said, if he loses out because of it, it's his fault and his
loss. I think making people aware of the dangers of using JavaScript is
a Good Thing, but this kind of "preaching" is taking it a bit too far.

--
sarah sweeney
my family: http://geekjock.ca