[thelist] Chicken cam, UK

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Fri May 20 15:25:51 CDT 2005

> In this case 'the particulars' matter.
Good point

> * Security - Neuro brought this up and it's an important
> consideration.
> How 'public/private' is this area where the chickens are?

Physically, it's an allotment, an area for growing vegetables
sandwiched between a nice housing estate and a not so nice one. All
allotments get people snooping around pinching tools from sheds, but I
don't think he's had much trouble recently to be honest.

> How likely is your kit to disappear with the chickens?

Well, I'd want to hide the kit fairly well, which is why I like small
and cheap. A solar panel wouldn't attract attention because no-one
overlooks it. And I don't propose to either intentionally publish the
webcam to all or to disclose its location, but if someone happens
across the address
<http://www.boingboing.net/2005/01/05/more_googleable_unse.html> I
don't suppose it'll do any damage .. I'd deal with that as it became a
problem.

> If there is a building nearby,
> making
> friends there could greatly simplify the problem.

True, but I think they are too far away.

> * Bandwidth - You need to get the signal from the camera out to where
> you
> can work with it. Some of the available options include wire, radio,
> infrared, microwave, satellite ... all at somewhat different price
> points mind you.

Aye, that's where I was mostly hoping someone would know the best option.

> * Signaling - Do you need to turn the camera on and off?  Pan?  Zoom?
> Focus?  Do you need more than one camera?  Any of those could lead to
> extra kit and extra expense in adding that level of 'intelligence' ...
> and thereby increasing the need for security.

On and off is good, for power saving, and is sufficient for the moment.

Good grinful and useful stuff, thanks :-)