[thelist] Chicken cam, UK

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Sat May 21 08:25:53 CDT 2005

Hi Ron

> Are you *sure* you 'scratched around' for hardware?   ;-P
>
> With very little 'pecking', I came up with some interesting options:
> http://triointernational.com/all.cfm/partNo/IPCAMWLPTG
> http://shopping.yahoo.com/s:Web%20Cams:4168-Brand=4XEM%20Corporation
> http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=38&prid=650

> Granted, depending on distance, you may or may not need one or more
> 'signal repeaters' as well ... in order to connect the wireless webcam
> to your home network ... (or a couple of bucks to one of the folks
> close enough to 'catch signal' to let you plug in a piece of kit)

Thanks, interesting stuff. I have looked around, but the combination
of webcam/mobile phone seems unattainable. I haven't looked in real
detail, but I'm not seeing anything that gives me hope there'll be a
product if I keep searching.

The wireless method might work .. how far do these signals go .. if it
were a permanent setup, but I rather liked the idea of setting it up
for the duration of the holiday.

Hope that doesn't ruffle your feathers .. good info nonetheless :-)