[thelist] Section 508 Screensaver

Paul Bennett Paul.Bennett at wcc.govt.nz
Mon May 23 16:08:06 CDT 2005

ok, now that I've actually reserached, I see that the US section 508 applies to 'information technology' in general and not just to the web like WAI.

Sooooo, maybe someone could help me understand what would make a screensaver 'inaccessible'? To me this is the scenario:

1. Leave computer for a while
2. Screensaver comes on to avoid you burning out yer pixels
3. Come back, touch a key, move the mouse (basically nudge/tap the input devices in ANY way)
4. Screensaver goes away

On a corporate network you then also generally need to log back in.

So I don't see how any type of screensaver would in any way make information inaccessible.... does anyone put enormously important info of any kind in a screensaver?

I would think that the network login screen would be the most inaccessible thing in the process as I'm not up to speed on how a blind user would have this info read to them...

Paul